Saturday, October 30, 2010

Why is it hard for some folk to ask for help?

I guess I should know the answer to my own question,because I'm still  reluctant to ask for help in so many areas of my own life.
I guess the question comes to mind for me from observing others throughout the day who do just that,refuse to ask for directions or for help.
Funny thing is most of these situations are not life threatening situations,but for many of us it's a matter of not wanting to be seen as weak or dumb.
I even think that some of us have degrees of not asking for help,I for one notice this character trait more simple because I need to work on my own.
I think if I spent more time focus on my own shortcoming,I wouldn't have time to see yours.
Funny isn't that the things that tick us off about others is some how connected to our own little lives!
                                                                         Bigmac

7 comments:

Moanerplicity said...

Join the club, Mac! Sometimes, unknowingly, we paint ourselves into corners by the roles we play or more precisely, the roles assigned to us. If you're someone who others turn to in times of crisis for advice, it becomes harder to do the same, especially to those same people. Suddenly you're seen as "the strong one". Meanwhile you, me & everyone else has moments of indecision, trouble & personal turmoil.

It's hard to bring my stuff to others, so I usually don't seek help. Instead keep counsel w/ my Creator. Not saying I'm right in doing so, but that's just the way I tend to roll.


One.

Reggie said...

True.......oh so true.

Isn't it also true that the one person we'd never want to help will invariably walk right up to you and ask for help?

Val said...

"I think if I spent more time focus on my own shortcoming,I wouldn't have time to see yours."

Some religious people really need to heed that advice. Many seem only interested in the sins of others while completely ignoring their own.

BigmacInPittsburgh said...

Lin:Thanks for always bringing more insight to my posts.

BigmacInPittsburgh said...

Reggie:There are a few people who I'm waiting to do just that.

BigmacInPittsburgh said...

Val:Maybe if more folk would take what they have learned in church and apply it to their own lives and family the world would be a little bit better!

Anonymous said...

BigMac,
I agree that it's hard for some folks to ask for help because,we don't want to appear weak or dumb, but I think it goes a little deeper.
It seems that we associate being reluctant in asking for help as a refection on our self worth & self esteem or the lack of it.
Once we begin to embrace & like who we, we begin to understand that "no man is an island," and it's a part of the growth process to ask for help. Whether it comes from our creator or anyone else. We can all learn from one another, but we first have to acknowledge the need for help, that's where our own self esteem and how we think of ourselves, comes in. We have to be willing to accept we don't know certain things, and we need help in certain areas, and it's just OK to ask. In fact, when we don't ask for the help, regardless of how big or small we short change ourselves on the knowledge we may need to get through this life's process.